Summer Term 2
Wow, here we are in our last 7 weeks of term - where has the year gone? Above are some of the final products from our Fairgrounds topics. Year 1 certainly enjoyed coming in and having a play.
- Our final topic for the year is Who are we? and Why do we live here? This is a geography based project and we will be looking more closely at how living in Wellington affects the way we live and comparing it to Duluth, Minnesota, USA. We will be focusing on our communication skills to listen, talk and respond to what others find out as we explore this topic. In homework, we are hoping to develop our interviewing techniques so parents, aunts, uncles,cousins, grandparents etc., I hope you can be patient with as we try to develop these skills as we find out a little bit more about where we come from and why we have ended up living in Wellington. As part of this topic we will also be looking at Native American myths and legends, writing our own and reading them to our Year 1 reading buddies.
- Spellings will continue to be tested and issued on a Tuesday and the test will be done in the homework book so that you can keep track of their results. Please can you encourage all children to remember to bring their A4 RED homework book in on a Tuesday.
- Reading is still a huge part of Year 5 so the children will still be expected to read or be read to regularly. Reading can take many forms though, so audio books/CD's, books, newspapers, sports results, comics, fact books, joke books etc., are all appropriate. We have devised our own reading comment chart which is stuck in the home school contact book and the children should be able to explain how it works. Home school contact books will be expected in on a Thursday and reader of the week certificates will also be issued on Friday.
- Knowing the Times table and division facts up to 12 x 12 is going to be vital for all children as they rapidly head towards Year 6 so regular practice would be really useful. Sum Dog homework and revision of topics covered in class will be set throughout the week but you could also try using some of the links below.
- PE continues on Tuesday afternoons with Mr Parsons and Wednesday afternoons is either swimming or PE with Mr McFadzen. If children forget kit we do have some spare.
Wishing you all a happy and sunny half term
Mrs Sibley and Mrs Gladstone-Smith